Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Perfect Time?

Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about “the perfect time”. And after reading this breathtaking post by amazingly talented and soulful photographer Deb Schwedhelm, I was inspired to write my own version.

********

When people find out I’m a love photographer, they get really excited. They want to have that experience. They want to let the world melt away and just focus on those they love. But then the doubts set in…

“I want to have pictures made, but now’s not really the best time.”

After I’ve lost 10 pounds.

After I have a chance to get the house clean.

After I like my hair better.

After all her teeth come back in.

After we get our tax refund.

And I understand. I do. My son was almost 10 pounds when he was born, and my stomach is probably never really going to recover from that.

But I also know that my family could care less about that. They don’t even notice. They love me just the way I am. Right now.

And I know that your family feels the same way about you. And with all the love in my heart, I have to say that I agree with them.

Because I believe—I KNOW—that you are beautiful just the way you are. Right now. Just like this.

It’s okay to want to wait till your house is clean or you loose the baby weight. Or the weather’s better. Or it’s not Christmas card time yet. Or the economy improves. Or, or, or…

But I promise, the people who love you, those that deeply care about you, they love you NOW. This way. With the crazy bangs, and the baby weight. The wrinkles and the under eye circles. They love you.

They. LOVE. you!

In the same way that you love your son when he’s missing his front teeth, or when a friend from school decides it’s a good idea to cut a huge chunk out of your daughter’s hair. In the same way that your partner melts your heart just by looking at you in that special way (And when he does, it doesn’t matter to you that he might have a few extra pounds on him, too.)

Because in and amongst everything, your life is beautiful. Now. I promise. I can see it. Even if you are struggling with doubts. I can see it.

And so can those who love you.

And when this moment has passed, as it always does, they will be so happy to have it captured. Frozen forever so that it becomes part of their legacy. The legacy of your love for them. Which is perfect and beautiful.

So please, find a photographer whose work you love, whose personality really clicks with yours. It doesn’t have to be me. But please find someone whose work inspires you and start planning. Start dreaming. Because you are worth it. This is the perfect time.

No comments: